The acronym LASER stands for "light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation." Lasers are devices that produce light at very specific frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum. The frequency of a laser depends on the type of material that is stimulated. The properties of lasers are similar to those of the other members of the electromagnetic spectrum. However, lasers can achieve great power densities which, along with operating at a single wavelength, has made them indispensable in today's marketplace. Lasers can also present a serious danger to the eyes and skin. Care must be taken to assure the safe operation of lasers.
The Radiation Control for Health and Safety Act of 1968 was passed by Congress to protect the U.S. public from the dangers of radiation exposure from electronic products. Federal regulations require that all laser products. (i.e., any electronic product that consists of, incorporates, or is intended to incorporate a laser) manufactured on or after August 2, 1976, be certified as complying with the FDA performance standards for laser products, 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11 under the Radiation Control for Health and Safety Act. Also, reference ANSI Z-136.1-1993 American National Standard Institute 1993.
Guidelines & Registration
Now offering Laser Safety Training for all laboratories with Class 3B and Class 4 lasers on campus; please email Scheryl Chinn (email@example.com) to schedule!
- UNM Laser Safety Program
- UNM Laser Registration Form
- Laser Safety Sheet
- UNM Laser Operations Safety Audit Form
Laser Safety SignsThe UNM Laser Safety Program requires all laboratories where a Class 2, Class 2M, Class 3R, Class 3B or Class 4 laser is present to have a laser warning sign posted at the entrances to the laboratory. Entrances to Class 3B or Class 4 laser laboratories shall have a lighted warning sign that is activated when the laser is energized.
Laser Safety Sign Downloads:
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Caution Sign for Class 2 Laser
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Caution Sign for Class 2M Laser
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Caution Sign for Class 3R Laser
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Warning Sign for Class 3B Laser Controlled Area
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Warning Sign for Class 3B and Class 4 Laser Controlled Areas
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Warning Sign for Class 4 Laser Controlled Area
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Danger Sign for Class 4 Laser Controlled Area
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Alignment Notice Sign
- Sample ANSI Z535.2 Compliant Unattended Laser in Operation Notice Sign
- Sample Labels for Non-Interlocked Protective Housing
- Sample Labels for Laser Beam Tube