Announcements + Updates
Update on 9/29: If you were Fit Tested in 2019 in a N95 Respirator, you do not need to be tested again if you are using the same model respirator. If you are using a different respirator, or fitted prior to 2019, you need testing. (Due to COVID, OSHA has waived mandatory annual fit testing for N95 respirators to conserve supply).
If an employee is required to use a tight-fitting respirator at work, such as a surgical N95 mask, then the employee must be fit tested with the mask prior to use. Fit testing is done to be sure that the respirator’s facepiece fits the user’s face, and must be assessed at least annually (note that Federal OSHA has waived annual fit-testing requirements during the COVID-19 pandemic, but initial fit testing is still required).
- The masks we have available for Fit Testing: 3M 1860, 1860s, 3M 8210, and the Halyard 46827 & 46727.
- Please confirm with your Supervisor what mask they will be providing for you in the future, prior to coming in for Fit Testing.
OSHA regulations have multiple requirements for occupational resporator use. As part of the respiratory protection requirements, employees must be medically cleared to don a tight-fitting respirator, which includes surgical N95 masks, and the mask must be fit tested to the user. Other requirements for Fit Testing include:
- A hard copy of your Medical Clearance Form stating that you are “Fit to Wear Respirator” is required; electronic copies are not accepted.Contact EOHS or SHAC.
- Do not eat, drink, or chew gum 30 minutes prior to testing.
- Males must be clean-shaven.
- Long hair must be tied back
- No late arrivals accepted. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will have to reschedule.
Register for Fit Testing
UNM Enviornmental Health & Safety offers Fit Testing BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Register for your fit test through UNM Learning Central.
Currently, we have the following times available:
- Mondays 1:00 PM, 1:45 PM, and 2:30 PM
- Thursdays 9:00 AM, 9:45 AM, and 10:30 AM
Steps to register:
- Go to https://learningcentral.unm.edu
- Sign in using one of the two links
For UNM, please click on the link that says UNM NET ID LOGIN
For HSC, please click on the link that says HSC NET ID LOGIN
- This will take you to the UNM Authentication page, sign in with your NetID and Password
- A page will come up that says either accept or deny; this means that it is using your NetID to pull up the classes you need to register for. Click Accept.
- On the Learning page, the upper left will have a “search for training” box. Type in SRS 8001.
- Click on the training (SRS 8001 - Respirator Fit Test & Training, first one that comes up) and click “Assign to Me”. This will now let you take the class and enroll in an open time slot.
UNM Fit Testing Location
EHS Training Room
UNM Environmental Health and Safety
1801 Tucker St. NE, Bldg 233 Map
Phone: (505) 277-2753
Office of Clinical Affairs:You can return your re-credentialing packet with the date that you intend to attend training and fit test. After the training and fit test you can then submit paperwork to theOffice of Clinical Affairs.
Occupational Safety Team