Portable Space Heaters
Download the Sample Approval Letter.
These guidelines provide direction for the use, specifications, and prohibition of portable electric space heaters, in buildings and facilities at the University of New Mexico and are consistent with the State of New Mexico Fire Prevention and Public Occupancy rule (10.25.5.) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
During the cold-weather months, portable electric heaters are used to supplement a building's heating system. These heaters can pose a significant workplace fire safety hazard, with the potential to ignite nearby combustibles and consume a considerable amount of electricity. The use of portable electric heaters is discouraged, but may be approved under certain circumstances. It can provide a temporary heat source in small spaces or areas where the facility's heating system is not providing adequate heating.
When a problem occurs with the building's heating system, or if your room or area is not receiving adequate heat, contact Facilities Management via the iService Desk to report the problem.
- Facilities Management personnel will evaluate the situation to determine if they can adjust your area to supply it with more heat.
- If FM cannot resolve your heating issue, you can submit a space heater request. This will be on a case-by-case basis.
- The approval will also depend on the electrical system's adequacy in your building to accommodate an electric heater.
- Once approved, a portable electric space heater may be checked out from UNM Facilities Management if available, or one may be purchased.
- When you purchase a heater, or if Facilities Management provides one, you will be issued an approval letter with the following information:
- Your name and UNM ID
- Building number where the heater will be used
- Building name
- Room number and location where the heater will be used
- The UNM Department you work for
- See Example Letter for more information on what is being asked.
- Once you receive your portable space heater, it needs to go through a physical inspection at the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. You will need to bring a copy of the Facilities Management approval letter and the manufacturer's instructions to the office and your space heater.
- A copy of the Facilities Management approval letter and EHS permit will be issued. It shall be posted in the room or area where the heater is approved for use.
- Failure to post the approval form will nullify your heater approval.
Existing Portable Electric Space Heaters:
To get a permit from EHS for your existing heater, you will need to have an approval letter from Facilities Management and will need to bring the heater in for an inspection. If your heater does not meet the specifications outlined under the Heater Specifications header, you will not be issued a permit. Any heaters being used without authorization shall be removed from service.
Once you have the approval letter from Facilities Management, please fill out the form below: